Monday, February 17, 2014 | By: ToniGurl

A Day in the Life of an Au Pair! :)

Oh goodness, the day in the life an an American Au Pair in the Netherlands, I almost don’t want to blog tonight. I'm exhausted I had a busy day like extremely busy day and it's finally over. Okay so for those who were interested as I know I was when I researched blogs, I'll give you the rundown of my day.

In the morning wake up at 7:00am, I showered the night before so I can sleep in an extra half hour or so.

At 7:30am be downstairs for breakfast for the kids, and fix their lunchboxes, their breakfast is their dad hasnt done it, and make sure they eat it and then brush their teeth., Oh yeah, brush and comb their hair in that time too.
At about 8:05am, I stay home while their dad bikes with the girls to school, today as they wanted to make sure that I truly knew where the school was I went with them.

Then when at 8:15 am I walk the youngest daughter to daycare which is literally down the street and around the corner from the house.

Alright and then 8:30am-9:00am, I do the daily grocery shopping by bike, or more importantly the bakfiet which looks like this to the left <<<<<. It was very hard to ride like you have to turn slowly, and omigosh it was just awkward I can't wait until I get used to it. After I return home with the groceries I am off until 2:30pm.

So in that time today I met up again with Marcy the other Au Pair I told you guys about and she had her two boys with her and she also had a bakfiet, Hugo who I told you isnt yet a year and Chrissy who has daycare but it doesnt start until 12:pm.. So we took them to the park and they played and then I biked out of the way to see where he went to daycare and got a bit more acquainted with the city. Then we separated I was on my own but I managed to find my way to the house. I got home around 12:30pm, so I had lunch and then some tea and relaxed a bit. Tomorrow I will definitely be napping during that time, but you live and learn right.

Then at 2:30pm I took my normal granny bike after the bakfiet it was a godsend, but it was so uncomfortable, I guess my rear needs to get used to riding a bike 7 days a week.. I rode the bike to the girls school and waited for school to let out at 2:45 where I then picked then up and then we went home. After we relaxed for an hour or so, I was prepping dinner already. We got ready for Fluer's singing lesson, I biked with the girls there and I and Wies(which I found out is not pronounced Reece like I thought, it's pronounced Veece) I know dutch names, and the dad's name is Coert but pronounced Koort. But I digress and we just bascially biked to a park and then walked around before we went back to pick up Fluer.

At around 5:00pm we rode from the singing class to pick up Clara from Daycare but she didnt want to leave yet. And one of her teachers asked her in dutch(not that it mattered as the older girls told me what she said in front of her and were a bit offended on my behalf lol) she asked Clara if she didnt llike the new Au pair(which is me) and Clara said she likes me but she just thought it would be her father today. She speaks very clear for a 3 year old, but she hates speaking english...so I have to have garbled dutch as she will not listen to me if I speak english.. Well theres my incentive I suppose.

After we leave daycare we were a bit behind and I had to cook dinner in a half hour, I managed it sorta...and they said it was good. It was chicken, fried potatoes and, broccoli, totally basic. But I need to remember that the baby is a picky eater and eats any type of pasta but hates meat and veggies unless it's hidden in the food. Food for thought I suppose. I set the table and the parents came home and we sat down to eat.After cleaning the kitchen, I was off at 6:30, but I stick around because the girls, mainly Fluer(who by the way is spelled Floor, but I just cannot make myself write that) Really does like me and likes for me to tuck her in and read her a story. There was only one other Au pair, who bonded with her and that was 4 years ago I believe, so it's pretty special as I'm Au pair number 8 and she hasnt taken to anyone in those years.



Okay that was a day in the life of an American Au Pair in the Netherlands, I'm tired and sore and I'm going to bed...I cannot wait until the weekend, I'm taking the tram to the city centre and buying an electric blanket I just cannot get warm!

0 comments:

Post a Comment