Wednesday, January 22, 2014 | By: ToniGurl

3 weeks Today And Musings of Future posts

I feel like such a hermit. I havent been doing much because through the week, I take care of Brian. But tomorrow is my Day off and I'm planning to venture into the streets of Groningen..BY...MY....SELF! I know it's exciting and a bit frightening at the same time, but I'm never going to see things if I constantly wait for someone to go with me. So rain or shine(theres never much shine) so maybe rain or cloud, I'll be there.

Yesterday I went on another 3-4 mile bike ride, and I was able to go a bit faster then I had been the previous time. That's not what I decided to write about however. When I was coming back, in the back of the house, I showed before that it's like country back here. So on the path coming back, there was horse where I was supposed to ride by. Horses are huge up close, I would like to go back horseback riding but thats a story for another day. I have a picture of it, he was extremely close, and I was trying to keep my distance, because big animal, can be dangerous. But as you can see I took this from my phone without the zoom on. 


I learned a bit more since I've been here, like the Dutch do not have snakes here, unless you count the zoo, or the harmless garter snakes. Which was weird. They have this animal, that they do not have in the states, and it's endangered and their favorite thing to eat is the the cable cords in the hood of your car...I know a weird animal right? The closest thing I could think that it comes to is a Ferret, but the animal is called a Steenmarter which translates to Stone Marten, which I have no idea what the hell that is.

My dutch is still atrocious, but I like to think I'm getting a bit better. Tomorow when I go to the City Centre by myself, I'm going to be a bit of a tourist as I'm being hounded to get pictures. I've only been here for 3 weeks today, it's understandable that I don’t have pictures yet. I'm a bit self concious taking a whole bunch of pictures as everyone looks at tourist like 'omg really' and I'd rather not have to deal with that. I don’t care, I just why you know? And besides theres not much to take pictures of...unless you want more pictures of Canals or the backyard?


Okay, Au Pair wise, Brian is awesome, he doesnt eat much, which isnt very good actually but you can't force a kid to eat if he doesnt want too. And all that crap about, he'll eat when he's hungry...the kid is hungry..still not eating, so thats worrysome. I've been alone with him up two hours I think, and I feel as if I'm not doing enough, so we shall see how this goes.

The money, which I think I'll take a picture of, some time. It's different, but its the same. Like the euro, you pay the same way you do with dollars. Only difference is they give you back change with 2 euro, or 1 euro dollar coins instead of the bills like the ones in the states. That's what I've gotten used too, I wish I could hurry up and learn more dutch, as going out as an english speaker only is so itimidationg. Over here, when they get to school, they learn English, and in highschool and either learn French, German, or something else. So everyone here has at least 3 languages under their belt. I feel like my schools didnt set me up so well.


Hopefully my post tomorrow, will have a ton more stuff to talk about it, as this one did not. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment